University of Nebraska-Lincoln
Part of the Campus History series
Early in 1869, Nebraska's legislature convened for the first time in the new capital city of Lincoln. Eager to reap the benefits of the Morrill Act, legislators quickly approved a bill establishing the University of Nebraska. Visionary lawmakers rejected the creation of two universities and determined that the state university and the state agricultural university should "be united as one educational institution." Thus was born Nebraska's great land grant and comprehensive research university that serves Nebraskans and the world beyond the state. Pulitzer Prize-winning authors, Olympic athletes, and Nobel Prize-winning scientists have launched their careers at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, as have world-class artists, entertainers, educators, and business leaders.
William Carey University
Celebrating 125 Years
Part of the Campus History series
In 2006, William Carey College celebrated 100 years of serving students in south Mississippi. To accompany the centennial, alumni director Donna Duck Wheeler wrote William Carey College: The First 100 Years. In the 11 years following 2006, the school's enrollment increased to nearly 1, 500 students and more programs, such as the College of Osteopathic Medicine, have been established. The span between the first volume and this updated one also includes the name change to William Carey University and the discovery of an additional predecessor institution, Pearl River Boarding School, founded in 1892. This expanded volume, published in commemoration of the institution's corrected 125th birthday, tells the next chapter of Carey's history - a history filled with faculty, staff, students, and alumni living out the words of the university's namesake, William Carey, and expecting and attempting great things for God.
Torrance High School
Part of the Campus History series
In 1917, when Torrance School first opened, the city of Torrance was developing a reputation as an industrial powerhouse. The new school initially served all school-age children in one building. By 1923, the elementary students had their own school, and Torrance High School stood as the only high school until the 1950s. As the population of the city grew, so did the campus of Torrance High. The rich history of Torrance High School is filled with academic and athletic successes, as well as storied alumni like Louis Zamperini and Ted Tanouye, who served the United States during World War II. In the 1990s, the highly recognizable Main Building served as a set for several television shows, including Beverly Hills, 90210 and Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and movies, such as She's All That and Not Another Teen Movie.
University of Texas at Austin
The First One Hundred Years
Part of the Campus History series
The University of Texas (UT) opened in 1883-38 years after Texas became a state and 7 years after the Texas Constitution called for the creation of a university of the first class. UT started off with 40 acres just north of Austin and with 221 primarily rural and local students. But since its founding, it has grown extensively and acquired worldwide prominence. Now, UT has 431 acres on its main campus and over 51,000 students enrolled from all 50 states and, at least, 124 different nations. UT is recognized as a top-rated state university, providing high-quality instruction and research. The university has also acquired architecturally interesting buildings, cherished traditions, and exciting sports programs over the years.
State University of New York at Cobleskill
by State University of New York at Cobleskill Alumni Associatio
Part of the Campus History series
As an alternative to high school for young men interested in agriculture, the State Agricultural and Technology College at Cobleskill opened the doors of its only building to a class of 10 in 1916. It was an experiment at the time, although now it would be part of New York's BOCES (Board of Cooperative Educational Services) system. Evolving over the years, it was first a postsecondary institute for men and women interested in agriculture, home economics, and teacher training; then it became a junior college offering a multitude of degrees, including not only those listed above but also business and liberal arts; and now, 100 years later, it is a comprehensive college offering baccalaureate as well as associate degrees. Today, the campus covers over 900 acres with 70 buildings.
Western College for Women
Part of the Campus History series
Western Female Seminary, the first daughter institution of Mount Holyoke College, opened its doors in 1855 as a Christian institution. The seminary, which became Western College for Women, was founded on the Mt. Holyoke plan, with a strong emphasis on academics. Many of its graduates in the 19th century served as home and foreign missionaries, and by the 20th century, young women from many foreign countries attended Western. In the 1950s, the curriculum was expanded to include a strong international emphasis. Western was the first college in the country to have an artist-in-residence, when composer Edgar Stillman Kelley was invited to live on campus. Western attracted national attention when it hosted civil rights training for Freedom Summer 1964. In the 1970s, independent study programs were developed, and the college became coeducational. With its diverse architecture and the early emphasis on landscaping on its rolling campus, the college was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
Southern Illinois University Edwardsville
Part of the Campus History series
For many years the residents of Southwestern Illinois lacked convenient, affordable access to higher education. To address this situation, Southern Illinois University opened residence centers at the former Shurtleff College in Alton and in East St. Louis in 1957. Enrollment at the two residence centers during 1957-1958 exceeded all expectations, and continued to increase dramatically. In 1960, Illinois voters approved a statewide Universities Bond Issue that included $25 million designated for an Edwardsville campus of SIU. Situated on 2,600 acres of Illinois hills northeast of St. Louis, and featuring buildings designed by architect Gyo Obata, the beautiful campus opened in September of 1965. Within five years, enrollment surpassed 13,000. Since 1957, SIUE has become the largest university in the St. Louis metropolitan area, and has produced more than 70,000 graduates. The university today offers 83 degree programs to students enrolled in the College of Arts and Sciences and the Schools of Business, Engineering, Dental Medicine, Nursing, and Education.
The Linsly School
Part of the Campus History series
Older than the state of West Virginia itself, The Linsly School was the first college preparatory school established west of the Alleghanies. The school was originally founded in 1814 as Wheeling Lancastrian Academy, and became an all-boys institution at the beginning of the Civil War. In 1876, Linsly began serving as a military institution. It is the Linsly doctrine that nothing of substantial or lasting value comes without hard work and sacrifice, and its existence today is testament to that philosophy. Adhering to its motto, "Forward and no retreat!," the school carried itself through almost two centuries of war, pestilence, and economic depressions to become an honored and beloved institution in which generations of students take tremendous pride. Today's non-military, coeducational Linsly School continues to enrich students in grades five through twelve with values of honesty, sportsmanship, hard work, and discipline. Through rare and never-before-seen vintage photographs, The Linsly School chronicles the fascinating and inspiring story of the tribulations and successes of the school itself, and the people who worked, sacrificed, and dreamed to make it happen.
The Thacher School
Part of the Campus History series
Sherman Day Thacher, a Yale-trained lawyer, moved west in 1887, intending to join his brother as an orange rancher in California's Ojai Valley. However, after accepting a request from a Yale colleague to tutor his nephew, Thacher's focus changed from cultivating oranges to cultivating young minds. His small educational enterprise eventually became The Thacher School. Combining unmatched academics with a unique horse and camping program, Thacher has prepared more than 5,000 young men and women to become contributing members of society at the local, state, and national levels since its founding in 1889. With an educational philosophy based around Sherman Thacher's precepts of "honor, fairness, kindness, and truth," The Thacher School continues to be recognized as one of the premier secondary schools in the country.
Genesee Community College
The First 50 Years
Part of the Campus History series
Founded in 1966, Genesee Community College (GCC) is the product of a grassroots movement that culminated in a public referendum supporting the creation of a community college. The resulting institution has exceeded the most optimistic predictions of its early proponents. From its beginning in a converted department store with 367 students, GCC, part of the State University of New York, has grown to over 7,000 students studying in more than 60 different programs. The college is spread over four rural counties in Western New York. The main campus in Batavia and six satellite sites, plus distance learning opportunities, serve citizens living within a 2,400-square-mile service area. The GCC student body also includes students from elsewhere in New York State, out of state, and several other nations. Currently, there are over 150 international students. Committed to the dual goals of ready access and student success, the 50-year history of GCC is a story of dynamic achievement through innovative programs, workforce development, and community involvement.
Penn State Abington And The Ogontz School
Part of the Campus History series
Anyone traversing the hilly, tree-lined paths of Penn State Abington would be hard-pressed to imagine the college in its first incarnation. Among the most diverse of Penn State University's commonwealth campuses today, the college's lineage dates to 1850 as the Chestnut Street Female Seminary in Philadelphia. This pictorial history traces its evolution from a private finishing school for affluent girls to an affordable public college that draws students from 17 states and 29 countries. Among the celebrated figures who contributed handsomely to the school's prestige and growth are Civil War financier Jay Cooke, who transformed his suburban Ogontz mansion into the renamed Ogontz School for Young Ladies; Abby A. Sutherland, the school's most influential principal/president, who astutely moved the school to a handsome tract of land in Abington Township, which she donated to Penn State University in 1950; and famed aviator Amelia Earhart. In the past two decades, under the direction of Dr. Karen Wiley Sandler, chancellor emerita, the college has become the thriving degree-granting residential institution that it is today.
State University of New York
College at Oneonta
by David W. Brenner, Ph. D.
Part of the Campus History series
The campus of the State University of New York, College at Oneonta covers two hundred-fifty acres and overlooks the Susquehanna River Valley in the western foothills of the Catskill Mountains. Founded in 1889 as the Oneonta Normal School with the mission of training teachers, the college became a charter member of the state university system in 1948. Its mission diversified through the years as it served the changing needs of the people of New York State. The college offered its first bachelor's degree program in 1938, its first graduate program in 1948, and its first full range of programs in the arts and sciences in 1964. Today, as a liberal arts college with a preprofessional focus, Oneonta enrolls more than five thousand six hundred students in over sixty undergraduate majors and nine graduate programs. This intriguing visual history documents the development of an exceptional institution of higher learning. State University of New York, College at Oneonta begins with the people who helped establish the college and examines the impact that establishment had on the community. The book profiles the faculty and shows the rooms and buildings in which they taught over the years. It looks at students in all phases of campus life-in the dormitories, at study, in sports, and on stage. The book offers a complete picture of a college noted for its outstanding and accessible faculty, students committed to both academic achievement and community service, distinguished alumni, and beautiful campus.
160 Years of Samford University
For God, For Learning, Forever
Part of the Campus History series
Samford University, established in 1841 as Howard College, is a treasured institution of higher learning in Alabama, consistently ranked among the best regional universities in the nation. Well known for the quality of education it offers and for its stunning Georgian-Colonial campus, Samford boasts a long and fascinating history, illuminated here in a collection of vintage photographs. With images ranging from informal to formal, routine to remarkable, tragic to hilarious, this engaging retrospective delves into the heart of the school's heritage--its people. The aspirations of all who have called Samford home and those who have supported its mission come to life in snapshot memories of centuries past. Highlights of the book include extensive coverage of the East Lake campus years; the first experiment in coeducation; the earliest known photographs of the Marion campus; the infamous "liberation" of a rival college's mascot; the courage of student journalists in the 1970s; the story of Harry, the slave who gave his life saving students; and Samford University's latest educational innovations and architectural marvels. Rarely seen photographs from the university's Special Collection department, supplemented by informative, entertaining captions, offer Samford students, faculty, staff, alumni, and friends a chance to relive some of the most memorable moments in the school's history.
State University of New York at Farmingdale
by Frank J. Cavaioli, Ph. D.
Part of the Campus History series
The State University of New York at Farmingdale is the oldest public college on Long Island. Chartered in 1912 as the New York State School of Agriculture, its growth has reflected the Long Island region's transition from rural to suburban and from agriculture to high technology. Its more than 50,000 alumni have achieved distinction in the public and private sectors of society. The college has contributed to the high socioeconomic status of Long Island's 2.7 million people (Nassau and Suffolk Counties), as well as to the rest of New York State. The State University of New York at Farmingdale presents more than two hundred photographs accompanied by detailed narrative that capture the memorable events of SUNY Farmingdale. This fascinating story presents a snapshot of a period of local history that no longer exists. It features leaders such as Halsey B. Knapp, the director who shaped the destiny of the college; David W. Allee, who helped set up the first technical education programs; Charles W. Laffin, a president who presided during the years of great social change; and Frank A. Cipriani, a president whose innovations prepared the way for the new millennium through the establishment of bachelor of science degrees in technical education.
Iowa Wesleyan University
Part of the Campus History series
Iowa Wesleyan University was founded in 1842, four years before Iowa's statehood. Pioneer Hall, in use by students and faculty by 1846, is among the oldest academic buildings in continuous use west of the Mississippi River. Abolition and women's enfranchisement were key hallmarks of this pioneer Methodist school. Iowa Wesleyan graduated its first female student, Lucy Killpatrick Byrkit, in 1859. Iowa Wesleyan's president, James Harlan, entered the national spotlight when he was elected to the US Senate in 1855. He was a stalwart abolitionist and supporter of Pres. Abraham Lincoln. Just after the Civil War, Iowa Wesleyan produced the first female attorney in the United States, Arabella Babb Mansfield (1866), who passed the bar exam in 1869. This small-town Iowa university also produced two explorers of space: James Van Allen (1935), discoverer of the magnetic belts that radiate around the planet, and Peggy Whitson (1981), the first female to serve as commander of the International Space Station. Today, Iowa Wesleyan University has the most diverse student body campus in Iowa, with young scholars hailing from small towns, big cities, and many nations abroad.
Georgetown University
Part of the Campus History series
Georgetown University, the oldest Catholic university in America, was founded in 1789 by Archbishop John Carroll, SJ, as an academy for boys that was open to "Students of Every Religious Profession" and "every Class of Citizens." Carroll established the school on a hilltop overlooking the Potomac River, "delightfully situated" as Charles Dickens would observe several decades later. Georgetown welcomed its first student, William Gaston, in 1791 and was chartered by Congress in 1815, but by the time of the Civil War, when Federal troops occupied the campus, the school was on the brink of collapse. It was not until the presidency of Patrick F. Healy, SJ, in 1873 that Georgetown would recover and be set on a course to become a university, linking Georgetown College with professional schools of medicine and law. The early 20th century was marked by the founding of the schools of dentistry, nursing, foreign service, languages and linguistics, and business. Now among the top universities in America, Georgetown is continuously reinvigorated by teaching and scholarship dedicated to serving the nation and the world.
Loyola University Chicago
Part of the Campus History series
For the past 150 years, since its founding in 1870 as St. Ignatius College, Loyola University Chicago has served and educated both the immigrant and established residents of Chicago, excelling in providing a comprehensive liberal arts education. One of the largest Jesuit universities in the United States, Loyola Chicago offers over 80 undergraduate and 170 graduate and professional programs in the humanities, sciences, medicine, nursing, social work, law, business, and communications on four campuses, three in Chicago and one in Rome, Italy. Now in its second century of service, and with an enrollment of over 17,000 students and 150,000 alumni, half of whom live in Chicago, Loyola continues its mission of preparing people to lead extraordinary lives.
Allen College
Part of the Campus History series
In the early 1920s, Waterloo businessman Henry B. Allen donated $200,000 and 80 acres of land to the Allen Memorial Hospital Association to establish a hospital in memory of Mary, his wife. The hospital opened in 1925 and was operated by the Deaconess Hospital Association of the Evangelical Church. The School of Nursing was founded in 1925, but a lack of resources during the Depression forced the hospital into receivership and the school was closed. Hospital management was assumed by the Lutheran Good Samaritan Society in 1938, and the school reopened in 1942 as the Allen Memorial Hospital Lutheran School of Nursing. In 1989, the school became Allen College of Nursing, a degree-granting institution. Today, as Allen College UnityPoint Health, it offers an associate degree in radiography; bachelor of science degree in nursing; bachelor of health science degree with majors in diagnostic medical sonography, nuclear medicine technology, medical laboratory science, public health, and dental hygiene; master of science degrees in nursing and occupational therapy; and two doctoral degrees in health professions education and nursing practice. Throughout its 90-year history, Allen College has remained faithful in its mission to prepare health care professionals for their roles in society.
Williamson College of the Trades
Part of the Campus History series
Williamson College of the Trades was founded in 1888 by Quaker businessman and philanthropist Isaiah V. Williamson, whose objective was to provide financially disadvantaged young men with a useful trade. Located in Delaware County, Pennsylvania, the school accepted its first students in the fall of 1891. Then, as now, the young men received free room, board, and tuition while dividing their day between the classroom and the shop. In 2015, the institution changed its name from Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades to Williamson College of the Trades, but its mission has never changed. Students still live on campus for free and are required to report for morning inspection, attend daily chapel service, and maintain a professional appearance at all times. Williamson has remained relevant in a changing world while still maintaining its core values of faith, integrity, diligence, excellence, and service. Despite changing times, Williamson College of the Trades has stayed true to those values and Isaiah V. Williamson's legacy.
Kansas Wesleyan University
Part of the Campus History series
On September 15, 1886, Kansas Wesleyan University opened its doors for the purpose of higher education. Through strategic plans and successful fundraising campaigns, the campus has grown and evolved remarkably over the past 130 years. The university has employed numerous skilled and passionate faculty members who mentored students toward academic success. As each academic year passes, the school marks notable achievements with pride in areas of academics and athletics as it also stays on the cutting edge of science and technology. Although Kansas Wesleyan has endured struggles, challenges have been promptly met with innovative leadership that laid the groundwork to propel the campus forward, demonstrating perseverance and resilience to craft a lasting legacy. As alumni expand throughout other communities, they carry the university with them. The images within this pictorial history illustrate the university's institutional history and the enduring Coyote spirit.
University of Rio Grande and Rio Grande Community College
Part of the Campus History series
On September 13, 1876, the bell on Atwood Hall rang, students assembled, and Rio Grande College began its 140-year search for identity and its struggle for existence. Ira Haning, a Freewill Baptist minister, conveyed the idea of a college to a prominent couple, Nehemiah and Permelia Atwood. Nehemiah passed away in 1869, and supposedly, his last words were "Permelia, build the college." Permelia deeded 10 acres and financed Atwood Hall and the Boarding Hall, and Rio Grande College became a reality. Upon Permelia's death in 1885, Rio Grande faced the first of many financial pitfalls. Her estate was willed to the college, but the heirs of her second husband contested it in an action that would be resolved by the Ohio Supreme Court in 1896. As a college, junior college, community college, and currently, as a university, Rio Grande continues to seek a definitive identity.
Oakland University
Part of the Campus History series
Oakland University was founded in 1957 when Alfred Wilson and Matilda Dodge Wilson donated $2 million and their 1,400-acre estate to Michigan State University to begin a new college in Oakland County. In 1959, the first students enrolled at Michigan State University-Oakland, and the university officially changed its name to Oakland University in 1963. From these beginnings, Oakland University has emphasized academic quality, concentrating on providing a dynamic, student-focused learning environment with integration of liberal and professional studies by a faculty of dedicated scholar-teachers. The natural beauty of the campus is enhanced by comprehensive recreational facilities and modern buildings that house the university's many academic and student service programs as well as a growing population of residential students. From spirited Division I athletic events to visually engaging artistic performances and everything in between, OU allows students to engage with and discover a wide range of organizations and activities on campus.
Oklahoma State University
Part of the Campus History series
Oklahoma State University was founded in 1889-18 years before statehood-as Oklahoma A&M College (OAMC), under the Morrill Land Grant Acts that allowed for the creation of land grant colleges. By midcentury, OAMC had a statewide presence with five campuses and a public educational system established to improve the lives of people in Oklahoma, the nation, and the world by adhering to its land grant mission of high-quality teaching, research, and outreach. On July 1, 1957, Oklahoma A&M College became Oklahoma State University (OSU). With more than 350 undergraduate and graduate degrees, OSU and its nine different colleges provide an unmatched diversity of academic offerings. Today, OSU has students enrolled from all 50 states and nearly 120 nations. There are more than 200, 000 OSU alumni throughout the world.
Wright State University
Part of the Campus History series
Plans to establish the first public institution of higher education in the Dayton region were laid in 1961. At the time, Dayton was the second largest metropolitan city in Ohio. The need for a public higher-education institution became critical as Dayton emerged as a center of high technology that needed an educated workforce. In 1962, many key business leaders throughout the community led a community-wide fundraising effort to secure the necessary seed money for the branch campus of Ohio State University and Miami University. In the fall of 1964, with the completion of Allyn Hall, the "campus within a building," the Dayton campus of Ohio State University and Miami University opened its doors to 3,203 enrolled students. It became an independent institution in 1967 and was named Wright State University to honor Dayton natives and aviation pioneers Orville and Wilbur Wright. Under the leadership of its sixth president, David Hopkins, Wright State University continued to expand its campus while building lasting relationships with the community.
Southern Arkansas University
Part of the Campus History series
Southern Arkansas University began as a residential agricultural high school, the Third District Agricultural School, in 1909. The school evolved into a junior college, popularly known as Magnolia A&M College, and later into a four-year institution, Southern State College. These four institutions served, primarily, young people of southwest Arkansas and provided extraordinary support to students, often the first in their families to seek degrees. The schools' educational value has been exceptional, as measured in graduates' achievements. Distinguished graduates have included, among many others, Gen. Horace Wade, '36, vice chief of staff, US Air Force; Leland Tollett, '56, president of Tyson Foods; Harry Thomason, '62, Hollywood producer and director; Cinda Hallman, '66, CEO, Spherion Corporation; Joyce Elliot, '73, Arkansas state senator and educational reformer; Joan Dempsey, '81, deputy director, US Central Intelligence Agency; and Fernando Barbosa, '92, managing director, Walt Disney Television International.
James Madison University
Part of the Campus History series
Anyone strolling through James Madison University's bucolic Bluestone area, which is grounded by the iconic Wilson Hall, will feel the educational journeys of past students resonating through the air. Founded in 1908 as a women's college, James Madison University was originally called the State Normal and Industrial School for Women at Harrisonburg and had an opening enrollment of 150 students. Since then, James Madison University has undergone several name changes and has a current enrollment of over 20,000 students. "The Madison Experience" is one that involves a commitment to learning and a fun and open spirit. This retelling of campus history seeks to capture some of the defining moments and cherished memories that have shaped so many Dukes.
The School of the Art Institute of Chicago
Part of the Campus History series
In 2016, the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) reached its 150th year. What sustains an institution is sometimes extraordinary, sometimes mundane, and often simply a matter of the sheer will of those involved. An unparalleled museum school, SAIC embodies something greater than the individuals who have passed through it, and yet it has also depended upon the unique and special nature of its protagonists, its founders who survived the Great Chicago Fire and rebuilt the school, a president who cast the hands and face of Abraham Lincoln, an alumna who was a celebrated illustrator and an activist in the women's suffrage movement, the creators of monumental sculptures throughout the country, and numerous scholars of art history and technique; to challenge and shape its form. The school's history is punctuated by marvelous moments of heightened public discourse in art making and scholarship. This book represents a glimpse into the lives of generations of students, staff, and faculty as full participants in an astounding learning environment.
Old Dominion University
Part of the Campus History series
The story of Old Dominion University began during one of the most uncertain times in American history. In 1930, as the country sank deeper into the Great Depression, the College of William and Mary opened a two-year extension school in nearby Norfolk, Virginia, to provide affordable, quality education to the community. Embracing its founding spirit of innovation, the school rapidly evolved into an independent, four-year college and adopted Virginia's nickname Old Dominion. As the country transformed during the 1960s, so did the college, and by 1969, it had progressed into a dynamic public university. Now with over 250 academic programs, nine colleges, and approximately 25,000 students representing over 100 countries, Old Dominion University continues to pride itself on forward-thinking research, inclusiveness, and strategic partnerships.
US Coast Guard Academy
Part of the Campus History series
The predecessor of the US Coast Guard (USCG) was the Revenue Marine, formed to enforce the customs laws. The officers for the service were drawn from the Merchant Marines, and occasionally the US Navy, and political connections were often more important than competency. To ensure consistent training, the original Revenue Cutter School of Instruction became the US Coast Guard Academy, moving to its present location in New London, Connecticut, in 1932. Prior to that, instruction had been afloat on four different vessels, known as cutters, and ashore in New Bedford, Massachusetts; Curtis Bay, Maryland; and Fort Trumbull in New London. The training has grown from a two-year program, providing primarily practical seamanship, to one of the highest ranked small engineering undergraduate schools in the nation, offering nine majors and graduating male and female officers with a liking for the sea and its lore.
The City College of New York
Part of the Campus History series
The City College of New York, founded in 1847 as the Free Academy, began as an educational and political experiment. The campus provided the setting for dynamic interaction between generations of students, immigrant and native alike, with the local and global community. Many of those educated by the "poor man's Harvard" distinguished themselves in various fields, including the former U.S. secretary of state Colin Powell, former U.S. Supreme Court justice Felix Frankfurter, writers Walter Mosley and Paddy Chayefsky, actors Samuel "Zero" Mostel and Richard Schiff, the scientist Jonas Salk, along with two Rhodes Scholars and nine Nobel laureates. These alumni and numerous others during the college's history made their contributions to the macrocosm utilizing the skills honed within the microcosm of the school's campus. Through images from the college's archives, The City College of New York illustrates the fascinating history of the first entirely publicly supported institution of higher education in the United States.
University of Tennessee
Part of the Campus History series
In 1794, two years before Tennessee became a state, the legislature of the Southwest Territory chartered Blount College in Knoxville as one of the first three colleges established west of the Appalachian Mountains. In 1807, the school changed its name to East Tennessee College. The school relocated to a 40-acre tract, known today as "the Hill," in 1828 and was renamed East Tennessee University in 1840. The Civil War literally shut down the university. Students and faculty were recruited to serve on battlefields, and troops used campus facilities as hospitals and barracks. In 1869, East Tennessee University became the state's land-grant institution under the auspices of the 1862 Morrill Act. In 1879, the state legislature changed the name of the institution to the University of Tennessee. By the early 20th century, the university admitted women, hosted teacher institutes, and constructed new buildings. Since that time, the University of Tennessee has established campuses and programs across the state. Today, in addition to a rich sports tradition, the University of Tennessee provides Tennesseans with unparalleled opportunities.
Azusa Pacific University
Part of the Campus History series
Located in the community of Azusa, 26 miles northeast of Los Angeles, Azusa Pacific University is nestled among the foothills of the San Gabriel Mountains, which provide a rugged backdrop for two campuses. The 52-acre East Campus is situated at the intersection of Alosta and Citrus Avenues, while the 22-acre West Campus is located a quarter-mile away on Foothill Boulevard. The mission statement for the university declares that it is "an evangelical Christian community of disciples and scholars who seek to advance the work of God in the world through academic excellence in liberal arts and professional programs of higher education that encourage students to develop a Christian perspective of truth and life." The university's four cornerstones are Christ, scholarship, community, and service. Throughout the history of the university, there have been several name changes and location changes; but, as illustrated in this pictorial history, the university's motto--"God First"--has remained unchanged.
Bob Jones University
Part of the Campus History series
Opening its doors as Bob Jones College in College Point, Florida, in 1927, and continuing in such a role in Cleveland, Tennessee, from 1933 to 1947, the school became a university when it relocated to South Carolina in 1947. Founded by world-renowned evangelist Dr. Bob Jones Sr., the university is guided by its mission statement: "Within the cultural and academic soil of liberal arts education, Bob Jones University exists to grow Christ-like character that is Scripturally-disciplined, others-serving, God-loving, Christ-proclaiming, and focused above." The 210-acre Greenville campus has a student body numbering more than 4,200 students from every state and 50 foreign countries.
New England School of Law
Part of the Campus History series
In December 1908, 12 years before the 19th Amendment gave women the right to vote, Arthur Winfield MacLean, an entrepreneurial Boston attorney, resolved to train women to be lawyers. What began with just two students grew each year until 1918, when he incorporated his enterprise as Portia School of Law, the only law school in the country founded exclusively for women. By 1927, the law school had 436 students and regularly provided the majority of female admittees to the Massachusetts bar. Guided by Dean MacLean and his successors, Portia began admitting men in 1938 and in 1969 achieved national accreditation as New England School of Law. In 1998, it was admitted to the Association of American Law Schools. Throughout its history, New England School of Law has maintained a tradition of offering opportunity and motivating its students to transcend barriers. Today that tradition is carried on by an outstanding faculty backed by committed administrators and trustees.
College of William and Mary
Part of the Campus History series
By the time of the American Revolution, the College of William and Mary was already into its eighth decade as the academic source of what the new nation would become and how it would relate to the larger world. Its land had been surveyed by George Washington, and its first honorary degree had been given to Ben Franklin. It would go on to educate two signers of the Declaration of Independence, three American presidents, and three justices of the Supreme Court. Chartered by British royalty in 1693, the college retains that connection to its roots into the 21st century. Remarkably through history, the College of William and Mary was, and remains, a public university--one of 16 in the Commonwealth of Virginia. At a time in American history when the 18th-century thought and practice of Thomas Jefferson has become part of the contemporary conversation, the college from which he graduated in 1762 continues to pursue his simple notion that "worth and genius [be] sought from every condition of life."
Central Michigan University
Part of the Campus History series
From a humble 1892 beginning upstairs over a downtown store in the village of Mount Pleasant to the fourth-largest university in the state, Central Michigan University's growth is tribute to the determination of visionaries who saw the Lower Michigan crossroads town as a potential home to a world-class learning center. First a private enterprise, then a state school, Central Michigan Normal School and Business College, the school would change names four more times to be known as Central State Teachers College, Central Michigan College of Education, Central Michigan College, and Central Michigan University on the road to making its founder's 19th-century dreams a 21st-century reality. With a total enrollment of 27,452, Central Michigan University offers a broad selection of more than 3,000 courses and 25 degrees.
Campbellsville University
Part of the Campus History series
Campbellsville University is a Christian institution whose mission is focused on scholarship, leadership, and fellowship. This volume chronologically documents the evolution of the institution, beginning with its humble origins during the early 20th century. In 1906, the Russell Creek Association of Baptists purchased 10 acres of land, which became the campus of the Russell Creek Academy. Elementary and secondary school classes were offered in September 1907, as was training for teachers. Campbellsville Junior College was established in 1924. Despite the school becoming a college, elementary and secondary school students continued to be educated there until 1941. Campbellsville College began offering a four-year higher education program in 1959. The institution achieved university status in 1996. Today a majority of the students attend classes on the 75-acre campus located in the heart of Campbellsville, Kentucky. The university also offers educational programs in such disparate locales as Louisville, Kentucky, and Recife, Brazil.
Burke High School
1894-2006
Part of the Campus History series
In 1911, the Charleston Colored Industrial School opened its doors to 375 African American boys and girls, making it the first public high school for African Americans in the city of Charleston. Throughout the years, there have been several public high schools in the city that educated African American students. However, they all have closed, and Burke High School (formerly the Charleston Colored Industrial School) is the only public high school in the city that provides an education for children living on the Peninsula. This book explores the rich and unique history of the school from 1894 to 2006 and provides another perspective on the subject of education and African Americans in Charleston during 19th, 20th, and 21st centuries.
Lincoln University
1920-1970
Part of the Campus History series
Lincoln University was founded in 1866 for the education of freed blacks after the Civil War. This book focuses on the years between 1920 and 1970, a span of time during which many of the university's most significant developments occurred. During this period, Lincoln Institute was elevated to university status, and graduate programs were added to the curriculum. A court-ordered law school was established and graduated many accomplished and respected African American attorneys before disbanding in the 1950s. During this era, the university was often referred to as "the Harvard of the Midwest" due to the acclaimed reputation of its faculty. Many alumni have made outstanding contributions at local, state, and national levels. After the 1954 United States Supreme Court Brown v. Board of Education of Topeka decision, the university integrated its student body. As a result, student enrollment changed dramatically from all black to a significantly white clientele. Today the university retains its designation as a historically black college/university.
New York City College of Technology
Part of the Campus History series
New York City College of Technology, known today as City Tech, traces its earliest roots to the trade school movement, which was supported by both organized labor and industry. Opening in February 1947 as the New York State Institute of Applied Arts and Sciences, the school served the needs of returning GIs and others in need of employment training. City Tech trained United States Air Force personnel in its employment-oriented programs, including the first college-based program in the country in restorative dentistry. City Tech became the first public community college in New York, and in 1981, it became the senior college of technology of The City University of New York. Today City Tech is the largest public college of technology in the Northeast and the most diverse. New York City College of Technology highlights the history of this vibrant institution that has continually served the needs of both its students and its city.
Kean University
Part of the Campus History series
Kean University, New Jersey's third largest institution of higher education, has a fascinating history dating back to its 1855 founding in Newark. Initially a normal school used for training the city's teachers, it has evolved into a university that offers outstanding undergraduate and graduate programs in many fields, including medical and allied health, management, speech, fine arts, liberal arts, architecture, and psychology. Teacher education programs at Kean result in the university graduating the highest number of teachers in the state. Kean also offers doctoral degrees in several areas, including educational leadership (EdD), school and clinical psychology (PsyD), physical therapy (PhD), and nursing (PhD). This photographic history features striking images from the university's archives, which span from the late 19th century to the present. Of special interest are the descriptions of the campus moving from Newark to Union and the creation of new campus sites in Ocean County, New Jersey, and Wenzhou, China.
The Catholic University of America
Part of the Campus History series
The Catholic University of America is unlike any other school in the United States. Certainly there are other universities with the same passion for excellence, and there are other highly regarded Catholic universities in the country. The Catholic University of America, however, is the only national university of the Catholic Church in the United States. Founded by U.S. bishops in 1887, the project of a national university was approved by Pope Leo XIII, and after considerable debate it was decided to put the school in the nation's capital on a hilly plot of land in Northeast Washington, D.C. Classes opened on November 13, 1889, with a distinguished faculty of eight professors. Since then the university has grown exponentially, greatly expanding the number of students, teachers, and schools. The Catholic University of America has celebrated educational triumphs, suffered fiscal crises, rejoiced in two papal visits, and earned itself a place as one of the country's leading educational institutions.
Saint Peter's College
Part of the Campus History series
Saint Peter's College was founded in 1872 by the Jesuits as a Catholic liberal arts college for men. Situated in an urban setting, the college seeks to develop the whole person in preparation for a lifetime of learning, leadership, and service in a diverse and global society. In 1966, Saint Peter's became coeducational and today educates students from 65 countries all over the world. Committed to academic excellence and individual attention, Saint Peter's College provides education, informed by values, primarily in degree-granting programs in the arts, sciences, and business to resident and commuting students from a variety of backgrounds.
East Tennessee State University
Part of the Campus History series
East Tennessee State University (ETSU), located in Johnson City, was founded in 1911 as East Tennessee State Normal School to provide teachers for the state's public schools. The institution originally offered two courses of study: a four-year high school program and a two-year normal school curriculum, which initially enrolled 29 students. Today ETSU serves more than 14,000 students and offers over 100 undergraduate programs, 75 master's programs, and a dozen areas of doctoral study. The university is organized into 11 colleges and schools. Approximately 700 full-time faculty members, 80 percent of whom hold doctorates, serve the institution's students. Indicative of embracing its Appalachian heritage and location, the university boasts several unique programs, which include bluegrass studies and storytelling. While ETSU offers all the opportunities and resources of any large university, it also has many advantages typically found only in small colleges.
Dominguez Hills California State University
Part of the Campus History series
Celebrating its 50th anniversary in 2010, California State University Dominguez Hills has been a dynamic urban university tasked with educating students who often become the first in their families to attend college. CSU Dominguez Hills is located in Carson, Los Angeles County, and boasts one of the most ethnically diverse enrollments in the United States. Chartered in 1960 as a liberal arts college serving baby boomers in Los Angeles's South Bay region, CSU Dominguez Hills has grown into a university dedicated to personalized learning. After years of wrangling over the college's location, classes began in 1965 in a bank building and the next year moved to Dominguez Hills. By the end of the 1970s, the campus included several thousand students attending classes in 10 architecturally unique buildings. In the 21st century, CSU Dominguez Hills offers 45 undergraduate majors and 24 master's degrees.
Berry College
A Century of Making Music
Part of the Campus History series
The history of Berry College is rooted in its musical culture and reflects an important part of Martha Berry's life and mission for her school. Located 60 miles north of Atlanta, Berry College began in 1902 as a small rural school, driven by Martha's desire to educate impoverished children and young adults in the foothills of the Appalachian Mountains. Through tireless fund-raising and dedication, Berry School grew from its humble beginning into an exemplary four-year liberal arts college. As Martha Berry gained widespread notoriety for her work in education, the music program performed for such guests as Henry Ford, Emily Vanderbilt, Theodore Roosevelt, and other notable leaders in business and politics. By 1948, the school's unofficial motto was "Everybody Sings at Berry." With continued success over the last 60 years, Berry's musical groups continue to gain recognition as they perform locally, nationally, and internationally.
City College of San Francisco
Part of the Campus History series
With an annual student population of more than 100,000, City College of San Francisco has educated one in seven city residents and has alumni in every state. A Depression-era dream of Archibald Cloud, the college opened in 1935 with 1,483 students and no central campus. Today the college not only has a main campus at Ocean and Phelan Avenues, but also has 10 others spread throughout San Francisco. Science Hall, designed by Timothy Pflueger, proudly stands on the hill, a visible landmark beckoning students to walk through its portals. Pflueger's dream also included the incorporation of art into his buildings. His organization of the Art in Action program at the 1939-1940 Golden Gate International Exposition on Treasure Island resulted in the acquisition of Mexican muralist Diego Rivera's Pan American Unity, as well as mosaics and sculptures by other artists that adorn Science Hall.
Penn State Altoona
by Lori J. Bechtel-Wherry
Part of the Campus History series
Founded in 1939, Penn State Altoona began its life as the Altoona Undergraduate Center, owing its genesis to an inspired group of local citizens who built, financed, and nurtured the college through the economic woes of the Great Depression, an enrollment collapse engendered by World War II, and the rise and fall of the region's railroad fortunes. After relocating to the site of an abandoned amusement park in the late 1940s, Penn State Altoona enjoyed a rapid postwar growth spurt that culminated in 1997 with its newly minted charter as a four-year college in the Penn State University system. Using lively period photographs from the school's archives, Penn State Altoona chronicles the school's transformation into a flourishing teaching and research institution of national acclaim.